(For a live blog on the U.S. stock market, click LIVE/ or type LIVE/ in a news window.)
* Trade deal mood in Beijing pessimistic - CNBC
* T-Mobile down as CEO to step down next year
* HP drops after rejecting Xerox's $33.5 bln bid
* Futures: Dow up 0.04%, S&P and Nasdaq off 0.03% (Adds comments, updates market action)
By Arjun Panchadar
Nov 18 (Reuters) - Wall Street's main indexes were set for a subdued open on Monday after a report stoked fresh fears over the possibility of a U.S.-China trade deal.
The mood in Beijing about a deal was pessimistic due to President Donald Trump's reluctance to roll back tariffs, which China believed the United States had agreed to, CNBC reported, citing a government source.
Futures were higher ahead of the report after Xinhua over the weekend said that Washington and Beijing had held "constructive" talks. is a market that's going to live or die by the tone around trade," said Art Hogan, chief market strategist at National Securities in New York.
"There is some good news that's baked into this market, so when we get bad news this market's going to roll over."
Hopes of a resolution to the 16-month trade dispute that has roiled financial markets and throttled global growth have powered Wall Street's three indexes to multiple record highs this month.
Also helping sentiment earlier was an unexpected cut by China to a closely watched lending rate for the first time in more than four years, as the central bank looks to counter a slowdown.
Attention this week turns to minutes from the Federal Reserve's latest policy meeting, where the central bank cut interest rates for the third time this year. The minutes are due to be released on Wednesday.
Also on the radar are results from U.S. retailers such as Home Depot Inc (NYSE: HD ) HD.N , Kohl's Corp KSS.N and Target Corp (NYSE: TGT ) TGT.N following a stronger-than-expected third-quarter earnings season so far that has aided the recent rally.
Shares of HP Inc (NYSE: HPQ ) HPQ.N fell 1% after the company rebuffed a $33.5 billion offer from Xerox Corp (NYSE: XRX ) XRX.N and said it was open to exploring a bid for the latter. Xerox dropped 1.9%. Inc SPLK.O gained 2.7% after Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS ) upgraded the data analytics software maker's stock to "overweight" from "equal-weight". US Inc TMUS.O slipped about 2% after the wireless carrier said Chief Executive Officer John Legere will step down next year.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.