(For a live blog on the U.S. stock market, click LIVE/ or type LIVE/ in a news window)
* Marriott, Darden fall after pulling 2020 outlook
* American Airlines (NASDAQ: AAL ) secures more funding, shares fall again
* Accenture (NYSE: ACN ) cuts outlook as services pain grows
* Futures down: Dow 2.66%, S&P 2.74%, Nasdaq 1.92% (Adds comment, details, updates prices)
By Medha Singh
March 19 (Reuters) - The S&P 500 was on course to sink close to three-year lows at open on Thursday, as another round of sweeping emergency action from policymakers across the globe failed to convince panic-stricken stock markets that a global recession could be averted.
Investors again sold travel and leisure stocks furiously. American Airlines secured another $1 billion in bank credit to help its fight against the crisis, but still saw its shares fall another 4% in response.
The airlines index .SPCOMAIR is down nearly 60% this quarter as major cities around the globe enter a virtual lockdown, emptying hotels and airports and forcing automakers to shutter plants.
Hotel operator Marriott International Inc MAR.O and Darden Restaurants (NYSE: DRI ) DRI.N both dropped more than 10% in premarket after pulling their 2020 financial outlook. on Wednesday by the Federal Reserve and European Central Bank to pump hundreds of billions of additional euros and dollars into the financial system gave markets an early lift in Europe.
But the optimism was short lived as more companies flagged a hit to business from the pandemic. fact that we have coordinated stimulus response by governments, both monetary and fiscal policy is certainly seen as a positive step," said Art Hogan, chief market strategist at National Securities in New York.
"The problem is we need to see numbers actually peak before we know that the healthcare response, is appropriate."
Wall Street's worst selloff since the 2008 sub-prime crisis has continued to deepen this week and the Dow erased the last of its gains under President Donald Trump's presidency on Wednesday.
In corporate America, Accenture Plc ACN.N cut its full-year revenue and earnings outlook, citing an impact from the coronavirus outbreak.
Official data showed the number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits surged to highest since 2017 last week in the first indication of the outbreak's toll on employment. to worries, New York Stock Exchange-owner Intercontinental Exchange Inc ICE (NYSE: ICE ).N said the market would temporarily close its trading floors and move fully to electronic trading starting next week. Street's three main indexes are now down roughly 30% from record closing highs last month.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.