Investing.com – ADRs of Valneva (NASDAQ: VALN ) climbed more than 31% in Monday’s premarket as the company said the phase-3 trials of a prospective vaccine against Covid-19 vaccine had shown positive results.
The trials pitted Valneva’s candidate against the AstraZeneca (NASDAQ: AZN ) vaccine that is among the six most widely used in the world against Covid. Valneva claims the results showed its candidate has superior neutralizing antibody levels compared to the British firm’s vaccine.
The outcome may suggest that both vaccines used in the study prevented severe Covid-19 caused by the circulating variants including the predominant Delta, Valneva said.
Valneva said it is preparing for trials in children 5-12 and a booster trial to evaluate the vaccine, VLA2001’s, booster performance for people in need of it.
The company has commenced submission for initial approval with the UK’s Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency and is preparing to initiate the same with the European Medicines Agency.
The announcement comes only weeks after the U.K. cancelled a provisional order of 100 million doses of the drug alleging that the company had violated its contract. Valneva had denied the allegations at the time and outside observers had seen the move as motivated in part by friction between the U.K. and French government over mutual implementation of the Brexit agreement and a bilateral agreement on policing migrant flows across the English Channel.
The stock had lost more than half its value in reaction to the U.K.'s move, but has now around half of those losses.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.