Volvo Car South Africa has announced that a special armoured version of the XC90 flagship SUV has joined its local line-up, offering select clients the option of ordering discreet ballistic protection directly from the Swedish luxury manufacturer.
The armoured XC90 – which forms part of Volvo’s broader global product offering – provides certified 360° ballistic protection according to the NIJ-IIIA standard, without compromising on either comfort or performance.
The ballistic certification test is carried out on the complete vehicle, based on the stringent NIJ-IIIA standard in combination with the VPAM BRV 2009 standard (B4). The armoured XC90 is thus rated to withstand handgun fire.
All armouring materials – from the reinforced laminated glass to the high-strength steel plating and special aramid composites – are discreetly integrated into the SUV’s existing design to protect the vehicle’s occupants, without ever being seen. The XC90’s clean Scandinavian styling, meanwhile, provides a luxurious look without attracting any unnecessary attention.
Further under the skin, the XC90’s chassis as well as its braking system have been carefully optimised to support the added armouring weight (which comes in at approximately 300 kg), resulting in the SUV’s fundamental properties remaining largely unchanged compared with those of the standard car. In addition, all of Volvo’s numerous standard signature safety systems remain fully functional.
Greg Maruszewski, Volvo Car South Africa Managing Director, says the armoured XC90 represents the ideal choice for a select group of special customers who require a heightened level of protection.
“We’ve noted a rising demand for armoured vehicles both globally and here in South Africa, with the Volvo Cars Special Vehicles division having received numerous requests to develop an XC90 with ballistic protection over the past few years. The addition of this special derivative to our local range means we can now provide a factory-backed solution to select individuals who desire that extra layer of protection,” says Maruszewski.
Since the armoured XC90 is fully approved by Volvo, the vehicle’s standard five-year/100 000 km manufacturer warranty, as well as maintenance plan, remain in place. Local pricing for the special protection version of the XC90 starts at R2,5 million (incl VAT).
The post Volvo Brings Armoured XC90 To South Africa appeared first on TechFinancials - Reliable Tech News.
Add Chart to Comment
We encourage you to use comments to engage with users, share your perspective and ask questions of authors and each other. However, in order to maintain the high level of discourse we’ve all come to value and expect, please keep the following criteria in mind:
- Enrich the conversation
- Stay focused and on track. Only post material that’s relevant to the topic being discussed.
- Be respectful. Even negative opinions can be framed positively and diplomatically.
- Use standard writing style. Include punctuation and upper and lower cases.
- NOTE: Spam and/or promotional messages and links within a comment will be removed
- Avoid profanity, slander or personal attacks directed at an author or another user.
- Don’t Monopolize the Conversation. We appreciate passion and conviction, but we also believe strongly in giving everyone a chance to air their thoughts. Therefore, in addition to civil interaction, we expect commenters to offer their opinions succinctly and thoughtfully, but not so repeatedly that others are annoyed or offended. If we receive complaints about individuals who take over a thread or forum, we reserve the right to ban them from the site, without recourse.
- Only English comments will be allowed.
Perpetrators of spam or abuse will be deleted from the site and prohibited from future registration at Investing.com’s discretion.